Do I Need a Party Wall Agreement?

You need a Party Wall Agreement if carrying out any of the following work:

Between Properties

Work to a shared wall between two properties (e.g. semi-detached or terraced house or ceiling between flats)


A garden wall built over a boundary

Works Nearby

If you are planning excavations close to a neighbour’s property - within 3 or 6 meters, depending on the depth of the new foundations

Before any party wall building works can start, the homeowner (Building Owner) needs a written Party Wall Agreement from all affected neighbours (Adjoining Owners). If this isn’t possible, a surveyor has to be appointed to prepare a Party Wall Award (the agreed document outlining how the works should progress). To begin the party wall agreement process, the homeowner has to serve a Party Wall Notice on their neighbours, in writing, about their planned party wall works

Serving a Party Wall Notice

Serve Notice Papers

We can serve the relevant Party Wall notice forms to the relevant parties for a flat fee. We typically include a letter of acknowledgement for the neighbour to complete and return

Wait 1 - 2 Months

Two months notice is required from serving a notice to commencing building works on a party wall or boundary. One months notice is required for excavations

1 Year Deadline

Once a notice has been served, you have up to one year to start work. After this, a new notice would be required

Route 1

Gaining Assent

Once a Party Wall Notice is served, a neighbour has fourteen days to respond. There are three possible outcomes after a party wall notice served:

Outcome 1: The neighbour gives assent (agreement) in writing providing the homeowner (you) will put right any problems

  • In such straightforward cases, there is no need for a Party Wall Award.
  • We assess and prepare a schedule of condition along with pictures of the relevant party wall. Notes are taken on any cracks or issues and copies of the report provided to both parties.
  • This is carried out before work starts.
Route 2


Option 2: If the neighbour dissents (or they don’t respond within the 14 day period, where they are assumed to have dissented, a Party Wall Award is needed.

  • You can agree to appoint one agreed surveyor who can act impartially for both parties. This usually happens within 10 days
  • Where we act as a Party Wall Award surveyor, we will not act as the surveyor for the proposed works to prevent a conflict of interest where we could be seen as biased.
  • We then present an ‘Award’ which outlines the proposed works ad schedule of condition including pictures.


Option 3: Each owner appoints their own surveyor.

This is the most expensive route for the homeowner as you are responsible for the cost of your neighbours surveyor as the party looking to carry out the work.

Each surveyor work together to outline a Party Wall Award.

Get your no obligation Party Wall Quote

We guarantee a smooth and friendly service for all Party Wall Agreements. Contact us for a quote for a party wall notice or party wall award now

Get your quote